Friday, July 26, 2013

What Happens When The Disengaged Employee Is You?


Business minds have been talking a lot about “engagement” in the workplace lately. The scene is shockingly worse than most of us thought. Forbes’ recent article highlights Gallup’s latest survey findings:
Fewer than 1 in 3 (30%) of American workers are committed to the success of their organization and are engaged in their work. Over half (52%) are ‘disengaged’ – defined as ‘less emotionally connected’ and not willing to do any more than necessary to keep their job. Most alarming of all, nearly 1 in 5 workers are ‘actively disengaged’ – actually against their organization, their boss or both.1

Yikes. As a business and community leader myself, this statistic is depressing. It tells me that we have a lot of work to do to activate the potential of those we work with and serve every day. A LOT of work.

It also strikes a chord. Deep in my gut, I know what it feels like to be on the other end of this data – the one in the room that is daydreaming of working anywhere but here, the one whose passions can never seem to be contained inside of a single job description. When my business ebbs and flows with the seasons like all consulting firms do, I get antsy. I get bored, feel underutilized, guilty for not working my tail off, and fall into a predictable funk. I want to contribute as much as I can, like most people do. Yet, it is a rare scenario that every single day of our working lives will be purpose-filled and electrifying. Dammit.

So, when the disengaged person in the room is YOU, what do you do?

Here’s my way out:

1.    Self-Reflect: I journal a lot. Even more so when I am not feeling my best. This includes when I sit down at my desk in the morning and realize I’ve got a huge “boulder” in my way clogging my mind. So I take a few minutes to write it all out and literally clear it out of my way. Sounds like a waste of precious time, but those 15 minutes are probably the most effective in getting my head on straight. This is how I show up fully.

Don’t fight your struggle – give it room to express itself. Give it a voice on paper. Validate your experience and your needs. I promise that bringing light to what ails you will lessen its pressure considerably. Sometimes, we just need to be heard. Even by us.

2.    Connect with Your Gurus: My inner circle freaking rocks. When I notice my energy is apathetic or even angry at work, post-writing session I immediately reach out to my most trusted personal friends and “teachers.” They may not know it, but I call them my “personal board of directors.” These women and men are people with whom I can fully express myself and know I’m safe. I can show them my “ugly” and they’ll still love me (a miracle, I know!). They have my back and my best interests at heart. They see my bigness, my heart, and my potential. Of course, they are much wiser than me.

Find your people who can give you the same room to learn. They will be your battery source. If you don’t have anyone now, that’s perfectly okay. Start looking for people you admire and trust, then cultivate a relationship. The best ones are mutually supportive. And they don’t happen by accident. Build your tribe.

3.    Let Yourself Be Known: As I connect with my circle of gurus, I am simultaneously sharing about my passions, goals and visions for who I want to be. Even if you’re like me and just need to ride the wave within your current company, keep reaching out to new people. For me, that meant getting involved in my community and volunteering. I’m now part of three incredible organizations. They allow me to fulfill a personal need to contribute, while also putting me in front of a ton of strangers. These strangers, surprisingly, happen to be excited by my “day job” and have started networking for me – my partners in crime! It’s incredibly energizing, and both my firm and I are reaping the rewards.

It all started because I put myself out there. I found something I was interested in, asked if I could help, and surprise – I have a huge new community network that is satisfying my work and personal goals in unexpected ways. So, go surprise yourself. If there’s a nagging voice in your head to volunteer at a dog shelter, go do it! It’s Life telling you that something great may happen when you do. Could be the people you’ll meet or the passions you’ll uncover when you follow your heart. Side effect: your work enjoyment will likely go up tenfold on its own. I dare you!

4.    Take Care: When we’re unhappy at work, it can be a red flag that we’re not taking care of ourselves. For me, I get my tush into yoga class multiple times a week (you should thank me for that, I’m much less crazy when I do). I will take some deep breaths in the morning before I get out of bed and obsess over my iPhone. I take long walks on my lunch break. I get massages, eat healthfully, and do my number one job – take care of ME. When I’m in good shape, so is my work and those who work with me.

This doesn’t mean you need to go on a radical health kick. Just restore some balance in your life. What gives you energy and joy and peace? Do more of that. If baking cookies makes you giggle like a child, please, go bake! Find your “happy” and be healthy with it. You matter. Your work (and your team) needs you to be well taken care of. And it’s not their job to do it – it’s yours.

If you’re disengaged at work, your LIFE is calling. Start listening to that quiet hum inside of you. Nurture it. Work should be an evolving expression of who we really are. Is yours?


Resources:
1.     Warrell, Margie. (2013).’70% Disengagement’ – 3 Ways To Engage Those Who Aren’t. Forbes. Retrieved from: http://www.forbes.com/sites/margiewarrell/2013/06/07/70-disengagement-3-ways-to-engage-those-who-arent/

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erin. I found your blog through you twitter profile. Looks like a while since you last posted here. Hope to see you get back into it soon. Also, there is no follow button on your blog. Is this by design? Also, your poetry is very expressive. I hope that even if you are not posting it here - you are continuing to write.
    All the best to you.
    Dale Myers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dale, thanks for your comment and interest in my blog! You're right... it's been way too long since I published. Actually just getting back into the swing of it as we speak, so stay tuned! Regarding the follow, I actually have a couple of followers so I'm not sure why that isn't working. However, I've just linked my blog to Google+ so you should be able to link that way also.

    Thanks so much for your encouragement and kind words. I will continue to write and share, I promise!

    Take good care,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete